About the program
Obtaining an Instructors Rating is money well invested. The most natural place for a Commercial Pilot to build hours towards an ATPL is by becoming a Flight Instructor.
An Instructor’s rating improves your abilities and skills and enhances employment opportunities and is mostly a requirement if you are interested in joining the Airlines.
- The only requirement is a valid Commercial Pilot Licence.
- 20 hours of patter training of which 5 hours may be on a Simulator
- 30 hours of ground briefings
- Pass a practical skills test in lecturing and air exercises with a Designated Flight Examiner
The following subjects need to be passed with a pass mark of at least 75%:
- Applied Meteorology & Navigation
- Principles of Flight & Legislation
It is essential to know the minimum hours required by the South African Civil Aviation to obtain a license are exactly that, the minimum requirements. It is unusual for a student to achieve the level of competency within these hour constraints. Every individual has different rates of learning and understanding, aptitude plays a major role in your progression and therefore additional training to meet the standards expected in testing, might lead to additional hours of training.